A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Vivando (Soundtrack of my Life--kind of)



       It's party day at my house today.  The wife of one of my nephews just graduated from her master's degree program and my wife's family will be gathering for another carne asada cook-out.  The illustrious scholar's mother has even come all the way from China to be a part of this week's festivities.  It will be an international gathering of sorts with conversations in English, Spanish, and some form of Chinese--I'm not sure exactly which dialect.

       This will the second party in the past two weeks.  Last Saturday we gathered at my brother-in-law's house to celebrate his (and my wife's) father's 92nd birthday.  Papa loves his parties and we have one every year for him.  I'm sure he's already thinking about his next birthday party of May 2017.

        So what I'm saying is that festivities and the preparations for them are keeping me pretty busy of late.   I'll keep this post short and I'll wish you a very happy week-end.  Then, of course, there's the long Memorial Day week-end starting this coming Friday for those of us in the United States.  Right now I've got no specific plans, but I'm sure something is bound to come up.

         Gotta go!  But I'll leave you with a little tune.  I was saving this to use in a Soundtrack of My Life post, but you know something?   This current post is part of my life and this is an apt song to go along with what's going on...







          Do you host many parties at your house?    Is anyone in your family celebrating a graduation of any kind?   Do you have a family member whose birthday is celebrated in big fashion each and every year?


10 comments:

  1. I used to like to have parties/cookouts when I lived in California but after moving to WA in 1999 I became very introverted, so I don't like to give them or attend them. Our great niece's high school grad party is next month but we aren't going. We'll send a card with some money. That's good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, it's not that I've become more introverted, but just less sociable. I like just being home without a bunch of people around. A high school grad party sounds like something more geared toward the younger folk and maybe their parents.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Have a good time at the Carne Asado. Life can be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, life is good. I'm tired from getting ready for a few hour affair. Then it's back to the normal routine which I like.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Oooh, what time is dinner? Sounds like fun :-) For years we celebrated every holiday and birthday - the family alone was a crowd of thirty! Then the kids grew up and had kids of their own and things really got busy, too busy. We considered moving to Siberia. Funny, the sister and brother in-law who began the whole clan suddenly decided to devote themselves to Jehovah and that was it for parties and celebrations in general. Pretty drastic, huh? And hard for the little ones to understand when they've celebrated Christmas all their lives.
    I enjoyed the song you chose :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, dinner was all day like it usually is at one of these affairs. People eating all the time. I only had one plate of carne asada with fixings and then one big plate of cake and ice cream later on and that did me in. I just can't eat like I used to--which is probably a good thing.

      I hear what you're saying about the religious conversion. I don't get it myself, but I guess some folks believe the message strong enough to convert. Good-bye birthdays and Christmas--bad for the kids and the fun lost for the rest of them.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Well, at least the song has a happy, upbeat tempo! Hubby's family included 6 siblings and together they all had over twenty children, who are now all grown or almost grown with their own families, so most any get together can get huge in a hurry. We tend to host smaller get togethers at our house these days. Pete and his dad had birtdays just two days apart. So every year they would have a big blow out bash together to celebrate. This very evening, Pete's brother is having a part for his son, who just graduated college. Our sixteen year old went, but Dad and I took a raincheck.
    Barbara, blogging at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, big family gatherings can be fun, but it can be an expensive affair for those paying the bill. For our party yesterday the bill for the meat alone was nearly $200. My nephew paid for the who shebang this time as far as the food and decorations went.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Our house is very small. John's sister has a huge house and she hosts many family gatherings of 20+ people. We usually have a potluck or BBQ.
    We love that time together. This year Mom died at age 89, so we make more efforts to see each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, I miss being able to gather with my own family, but my wife's family gathers several times a year and they all have a wonderful time. When my mother was still living her house was the center of our family social life and there were some great times to be had.

      Lee

      Delete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird