A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Candy Apply Red (Soundtrack of my Life)


          Oh, to be a kid again!  Though that would present the other challenges of adolescence and adulthood.   Would I really want to live my life over again?   Perhaps if I could edit out all the bad parts and just leave in the good.  But then what kind of life would that be?   I've had a pretty darn great life as far as I'm concerned so maybe those bad parts were necessary to appreciate the good parts.  Still, it's fun to think back on the good times.

         In this post I offer another in my Soundtrack of My Life series. Robin at Your Daily Dose has been doing the Soundtrack of my Life posts on her blog for a while now. I had done a few of my own "life soundtracks" on my Tossing It Out blog as well as the song series (starting at this post) I did for my 2014 Blogging from A to Z April Challenge on Wrote By Rote. Be sure to visit and follow Your Daily Dose for more Life Soundtrack info.  For my current back to the past post, I'm using the song "Candy Apple Red" by Robbin Thompson as my inspiration.  If you like you can listen as you read the story that follows...



Candy Apple Red

        When my family moved from San Diego, California to Crown Point in the northwestern corner of Indiana, I was just entering junior high as they called it back then.  Going into seventh grade was a huge transition as now instead of one teacher all day as we had in elementary school, now we had a teacher for each class and we would move around from room to room throughout the day.  It was almost like being in high school except that we were still like little kids in many ways.  I guess that's why they called it junior high school.   We were kids getting ready for those last few years before graduation and then on to college or whatever life was holding in store for us.

         The biggest change about moving to Indiana was the weather.  In San Diego the year round moderate weather made being outdoors a kid lifestyle.   So much time was spent riding bikes, playing games, prowling the neighborhoods, and roaming the still wild canyons that surrounded our neighborhoods.   Maybe there was some kind of law that said that kids had to spend at least eight hours a day outdoors--well it might have seemed like it, but perhaps it was just a natural law.  Not often did I as a kid want to stay cooped up in the house all day when there were so many amazing things to do outside.

          Of course I had my indoor activities that I liked to do sometimes.   We played cards and board games.  We might amuse ourselves making prank phones calls.  It seemed like I watched several movies on television each week in addition to some of my favorite programs.   I spent hours reading--I loved to read back then perhaps more so than I do now.  And there was my stamp collection.  My sister, some friends, and I all collected stamps and that activity could keep us entertained for hours.  Looking back on everything we did back then I'm thinking that days must have been longer back then.  I don't think the Earth was spinning more slowly, but I guess a kid's perception of time sees minutes, hours, and days from a far different perspective than an adult does.

         The relocation to Crown Point didn't alter my desire to be outside and about my environment, but sometimes the weather curtailed such activities.  Those heavy northern Indiana snows were fun to play in for a while, but after a while the cold would become unbearable causing us to seek the warmth and comfort of indoors.  Books, games, stamp collections, and television were still on the agenda,  Then came another interest for me--model building.

          Being older I could do certain things better like reading and following instructions and being more intricately creative.  I was ready to take on the challenge of those boxed models I would find in the variety store.  Initially I was drawn by the allure of the classic monster models made by Aurora.  The selection was limited so soon I had them all.  I had done a pretty decent job assembling and painting these models and displayed them proudly throughout my bedroom.  Eventually I was ready to move on with other model kits, starting first with inexpensive simple airplanes and ships.  Then came car models.

           Those car models presented a very different and new challenge for me.   They were detailed and far more complex than the other models that I had been building.  I began buying car model magazines for tips on creating better models and inspiration.  Actually in the long run those magazines probably discouraged more than inspired me.  Those professional and more experienced builders apparently had not only far more knowledge than I had, but also far greater patience.

           I was particularly impressed and envious of the paint jobs on those car models shown in the magazines.  These builders were putting on multiple coats of paints and coats and buffing them and treating them until they came out with glossy sheens.    My paint jobs were so much less perfect with streaks, bubbles, and, well, to put it bluntly--sloppiness.   I make it sound horrible I suppose.  Actually some of my finished products did look pretty nice and I was proud of them.  At least proud enough to display them in my bedroom.

           None of my work would have won awards at car model shows.  Not like the car models in the magazines.  I was an amateur at building car models and so I remained during my short career as a car model builder.    After a couple of years having those models on display some fiendish impulse within me caused me to burn all of those models to which I devoted so much time and care.   Watching them burn, melt, and vanish into toxic residue fascinated me much to my dismay years later.   I would have liked to have had them after I reached adulthood, but then again it just would have been more stuff for me to store or move like so much other stuff that I have now.

         What were your favorite solitary activities of childhood?   Do you still pursue any of the same interests you had as a  kid?   Did you ever willfully destroy any of the things you owned as a child?...



10 comments:

  1. I am an only child so solitary activities were all I knew. I remember wanting to get model kits and my parents said they were too hard for me. I had an older cousin who made them and he was so skilled at it. It would take him months of painstaking painting and assembly to finish but they were incredible. I was big into crafts as a kid and that hasn't changed at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, sometimes I felt like an only child when I was engaged in my solitary activities. I did a lot by myself and was happy doing it. The model kits I didn't get until I had my own money to spend and since money was not in abundance I stuck to cheaper kits for the most part. But come to think of it I did have quite a few models and model making equipment.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. It's been so long ago. I spent a lot of time with my large family in a small house so solitary activities weren't quite so solitary. I always had a basketball in my hand. I spent a much of my spare time playing basketball by myself or with others. It later moved on to cheerleading constantly in the backyard. You would think I would be a slim aerobics teacher now. But no I have battled the battle of the bulge my entire adult life. Oh well, I am satisfied with my life too. Just would like the body to not be so rusty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, even though my father had been a star basketball player in college, he never encouraged me to play. If I'd have had a ball and hoop in my yard somewhere I would have probably shot baskets too. Rather than playing sports I played a lot of things that involved my imagination.

      I wouldn't mind having a body that was in better shape now, but I too am pretty satisfied with my life.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Candy Apple Red was my own time period, and hours of outside play, etc. was my fun with my brothers whom I still liked.
    Life changed at age 10 when I became a volunteer in farm work with my mom.
    Did I throw things away that once meant so much to me? Well, I just did. Sketching and painting were my passion, even through college. While we are packing to move, I looked at the saved art and realized that it wasn't me anymore.
    Trash can art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, I guess there is only so much most of us can keep unless we have a large enough place to keep it and even then it's mostly just collecting dust.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I was always playing outside as a kid. As a teen I read lots of books and daydreamed until I could date and hang out with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, prior to high school I spent a lot of time outside and still seemed to have a lot of time for inside activities. Back then time was something I seemed to have in great abundance--something which no longer seems to be the case.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I lived on a farm in central Illinois, and my brother was 4 1/2 years younger, so I had lots of time for solitary activities when I wasn't doing chores. I spent most of that time reading. I also liked to play my records and learn the words to all the pop songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you stayed inside long enough there was always the likelihood of being put to work around the house, so kids pretty much dashed from their homes at daybreak - me included! Our activities varied but usually we played marbles, Chinese jump rope, built underground forts and trekked a couple of miles through the desert to a tiny market on a hill for sodas, saladitos and dill pickles. Oddly, we rarely bought candy. Monsoon was a favorite time, when the river would fill to the brim from rushing floodwaters carried through arroyos. Swinging across a raging arroyo on a rope was so exhilarating! Forbidden, but oh so much fun. Whenever I was grounded for some discretion (like the arroyo) I'd spend the day(s) reading or playing with my collections of treasure trolls and matchbox cars. I still have most of my trolls, but now my grandson has my cars;-)

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird