A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Prelude to a Postlude (#atozchallenge)






Thorinshield   "Prelude to a Postlude"  (1968)




Prelude to a Postlude

         Do you ever wonder "what if"?

          I remember ladies in my past that I went out with once or perhaps a few times and then it just ended.  I'm not sure why in most cases.   The relationships were something I just never pursued.   Most of these women  probably would have kept going out with me, but there must have been something that made me back down from any possibility of further involvement.  Still, sometimes I wonder whatever happened to them?  What if we had taken the relationship to a more serious level?

          Marcene married a missionary and last I heard was living in Florida.  I only know about her because my friend is married to her sister and he told me.   A relationship with Marcene probably would have not worked well for me.  She was not really my type and we had little in common.  Yet we dated for a good while.  There wasn't anybody else that I could think of at the time.

           My sister introduced me to Alma, a quiet girl who was not stunning, but she was attractive.  We spent a lovely day driving up in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.   She didn't say much so I did most of the talking.  From her responses to my questions to her it didn't sound like she had many interests.  There was something comforting about her.  She might have made a good wife for someone, but not for me.  She probably was looking for a good ol' boy who could give her a home and kids to take care of while he did whatever good ol' boys do.   We went out once and I didn't ever call her back.

          While I was working in Evansville, Indiana for a few months, a lady friend of mine fixed me up on a date with Tess, a girl who worked at the beauty shop where she got her hair done.  Tess was a fascinating looking female--she reminded me of a woman who might have been transported out of the 1920's or out of some old classic black and white movie.  We went to a concert that I had been looking forward to but we had to leave early because she said the loud music was giving her a headache.   For some reason I thought she had something more romantic on her mind.   We hung out for a little while after the concert, but she seemed really cranky so I took her home.  Maybe I just caught her on a bad night.  We agreed to get together again sometime, but I never bothered getting back in touch with her.

         What happened to Lisa, Sherry, Bobbie, Del, Tara, and others.  Did they get happily married and have families?   Did they pursue careers that brought them satisfaction?  Where did they end up and with whom?  What would have happened if one of them had made her life with me?

          Pleasant afternoons or happy evenings in the past have faded into memories.   And still I sometimes wonder.   But then again, does it matter?

           Do you ever wonder "what if" when you think of people you've known?   Have you kept up with any old flames?   Do you think your life would have been better if you had married someone from your early dating days?


       
       


Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. I usually ended up on fairly decent terms with my exes after awhile so I know where they are now. Not that I had many boyfriends to begin with really. I have never doubted that if I'd married any of them, I'd be divorced from all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are people from my past where I wonder 'what if' we had kept in touch, but I never really dated before I met my husband. I went out with another guy twice in my teens, but I didn't really ever think of him as a date, even though he clearly did :). I'm not really much of a 'what if' person in the end, I don't think.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
    FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great theme, Arlee. I have often written using titles of music as chapter titles. Every life should have a soundtrack!

    Good luck with the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think of young men I dated briefly, I thank God that He kept me safe and ready to meet John. I am blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had quite an interesting past. No, I think one must look forward in life!

    Www.volatilespirits.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't really date a lot I seemed to have go straight into long term my shortest was over a year.I still know all my exs and occasionally go out to dinner with them and I hasten to add my hubby.
    Loving the A2Z Maggie@expatbrazil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JoJo -- There's probably a very good reason that we didn't marry some of those past interests.

    Natasha -- I didn't really date that much and never went "steady" with anyone when I was younger. After my second divorce I had a couple of long term relationships but they were mainly for the companionship--but I did think about marriage.

    Elise -- Music is filled with so many memories for me.

    Story -- Probably a good idea.

    Susan K-- I feel very blessed but I wished I didn't have the divorces behind me.

    Anupama -- Sometimes I get contemplative about the past, but it's mostly when I'm writing memoir material.

    Maggie -- My current wife would not want to go out to dinner with any of my exes--especially my second one.

    Lee


    ReplyDelete
  8. I look back and thank goodness I didn't marry any of the men I knew before my marriage! Not that they weren't great, because a lot of them were. Just so happy with the one I ended up with I can't imagine that the others would have been like this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa -- I would have missed out on some great life experiences if I'd married any of those ladies I dated. I'll never know, but I'm in a good place now and wouldn't want it otherwise.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird