A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Friday, April 4, 2014

Dance With Me #atozchallenge






Orleans   "Dance With Me"  (1975)



Dance With Me

       In July of 1975 I joined The Ken Griffin Magic Show.  My family's juggling act had worked with them on a show in my home town of Maryville, Tennessee.  Ken and his wife Roberta were in town for a few days and came to my parents' house for dinner one evening.  We got to know each other during the time they were in town.

         Ken and Roberta were a very pleasant couple in their 50's who had toured their magic and illusion stage show for many years.   They were well known in magic circles because of their reputation with the show and a book they had written about touring magic shows that was like a bible of that field of entertainment.  Since I was not working and had dropped out of college--essentially loafing--they invited me to join their show.  It was like the golden opportunity that I had been waiting for so I jumped on the offer.

         It was a lonely time for me.  I was 24 with no real plan in my life.  I had many friends and we had great times, but what I wanted most was a girlfriend--a female partner who might become my wife.  Many of my friends were getting married or had steady girlfriends of their own, but I had not met that one special lady for me.  I pined for female companionship.

         The road life was not the best place to find that companionship either, but it was an exciting life and I was having a great time--except for that lingering loneliness.  I might call it a lack of completeness or at least that's how I thought of the feeling at the time.

        The Orleans hit "Dance With Me" was all over the radio that summer.  Everytime I heard the song it was like it was being sung to me.  It became like my theme song.   The following year I found the girl I'd been waiting for.  At least for a while.  We did get married.  We had a son.  I had my companion.  My dance partner.

        After that it made me happy to hear that song.  I'd smile and think of my special lady whom I could whirl on the dance floor of our life together.

         That was many years ago and that special girl is now far from me.  We found other partners to do our life dance with.   We're still friends, but no longer partners.  Now when I hear "Dance With Me" I whirl her across the dance floor of my memory and smile wistfully.

           Did you have a time in your life when you were especially lonely?    Do you think having a partner in a love relationship makes you more complete?    What was your adventure of youth that was your breakaway from home and family?


   
Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. As an only child I think I was better equipped to deal with loneliness than most. But that said, yes I ached for someone to love me and I felt lonely for that companionship a lot, even during my 22 year marriage as my husband slipped further into mental illness and alcoholism. I finally have the man of my dreams, but he's a trucker so I'm lonely for him all week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee, these are the best memories. I rarely feel lonely even though I live alone. It's probably because I am a good conversationalist. :) Answering back is not issue either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, that brings back memories of similar feelings in a boy not quite in high school. It was long a member of what I call the "mythical top ten".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experience with the traveling magic act must have been incredible. I hope you share more. I've had lonely stretches, but it's usually when a decision needs to be made, or some change is in order.
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is a bitter sweet memory. The lonely times don't haunt me presently, but I have bitter sweet memories of those I miss. Peace, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really enjoying this series, the ideas you present can linger all day. I've only experienced intense feelings of lonliness twice in my life although I've lived alone for over 20 years. I've discovered that grieving alone intensifies and lengthens the process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JoJo -- Now I'm remembering that beautiful Harry Chapin song "Everybody's Lonely".

    Teresa -- I think as we get older we get more comfortable with ourselves. Being alone is not a bad thing.

    CW -- The mythical top ten?

    Sharon -- Decision time is often a lonely endeavor.

    Maria -- The insecurities of youth seem to exaggerate being alone.

    Pauline -- Grieving is a time when a "shoulder to cry on" makes a lot of sense.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from a fellow A to Z blogger. I am touched by your post today. I have not been lonely as an adult but I know what it feels like from my childhood. After my father deserted my mom she moved out of state from our family to find work. I was an only child. She could not afford a baby sitter so I stayed at home alone while she worked when I was not in school. I was lonely. I missed having my mom at home and I missed all our extended family. I hope that you are no longer lonely.
    My theme today is Dance also. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arlee,

    I am very fortunate. I found my dance partner when I was still at school. We are still dancing together more than 30 years later. I have felt lonely in a different way though. Some life experiences, like grief, can make people feel alone. When our son died I felt like the only person in the world who was suffering. The world continued on around me, people passed me by, and no one realised my heart was broken. Even a beloved dance partner cannot take that feeling away.

    I enjoyed your story very much indeed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My "breakaway" was going on tour with you and your family. My mother didn't want me to go—in fact, she didn't speak to me the week leading up to my leaving. It remains one of the most life-changing events of my existence. I'd never been anywhere, and suddenly I was traveling the country. It was the turning point in discovering who I was as an individual.

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird