A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Saturday, April 2, 2016

B-Biggest Fears: #atozchallenge




B-Biggest Fears: 

        In my younger days I was fearful of many things.  Often they were stupid things that weren't worth getting worked up over.  Now that I'm older I don't get all that worked up over such things because most of them I've had to confront and since those things didn't kill me or have any great emotional impact on me the fears have been essentially overcome.   

        If we're talking about the things that make me afraid now then I'll include things like heights, tight places, or being unable to breathe.  I'm not afraid of anything supernatural though I can't say I've ever been encountered with a fearful supernatural situation.  No point in being afraid of the things I have no control over such as natural disasters or man-made conflagrations.  Sometimes I think about bad things that could happen, but those are mostly just exercises in thought rather than debilitating emotions. 

        Getting older--for me at least--has made me more rational about being afraid.  If I were to name things that might be considered biggest fears to some degree, they would be things like something bad happening to one of my kids or grandkids, facing a catastrophic health risk that would leave me dependent on others, or losing what little I have in the way of finances and material comfort.  Those would be bad things to happen, but I don't dwell upon any of it to the point where I would call myself fearful in spirit. 

        Fear and worry are detrimental to living with hope and quality daily existence.  Apprehension holds us back from moving forward at a comfortable pace.  My preference regarding fear is to be afraid of what is actually before me rather than having some vague state of mind where I live in fear of something that may or may not happen.  Rational fear might make sense, but if the fear exists in an imagined realm then I'd prefer not to dwell upon it.   That is unless it's something that I'm writing about.

         Do you live in a state of ambiguous fear?    Are there specific fears that you can justifiably cite as worth thinking about?    What actions do you take when fear takes hold of you?



20 comments:

  1. Great post. Fear is debilitating. It takes the breath out of us. I've had to face my fears, and it's easier when you form a support group, seek counseling, and take things measure by measure. I have a mantra: I can do brave things. Also, when feeling anxious, I play the piano, take a walk, journal, or talk to a friend.
    Blessings to you as you live a more fearless life.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, fear mostly is rooted in our imagination. You're right about distracting oneself to avoid unfounded fears.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. My constant state of fear that the other shoe is going to drop has left me with a terrible panic and anxiety disorder. I'm scared of so many things - money issues, the possibility that my landlord might put this house up for sale, that my mother is never going to die and make my life miserable forever, something will happen to my beloved husband. I've been in therapy for almost a year and back on antidepressants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I hope you can conquer your fears in order to have more quality in your life.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I'm sure fear and worry had its use in early man/woman; it really only gets in the way these days. Best to not entertain fear or worry. And big fears? There's therapy for that. 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, There's always therapy I suppose. And faith that God is with us in all things.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Addressing fear is something all have to do eventually. That is the only solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, If we don't confront the fear then it will control us.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I too dislike heights. Spiders too! I suppose loss is my biggest fear. I'm terrified to lose those I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, losing loved ones is tough. I've lost my parents and some friends and relatives and that was sad, but it will be something that I will face the older I get.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Excellent attitude! I tend not to worry unless given a reason to do so, like my recent health scare. There's no point in thinking about things that could happen but probably never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, health can be a legitimate concern.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Yup! I'm at that time in life where the 'real' fears are there yet I want to enjoy my life in the moment. Irrational fear? ~ I just did my tax return and found I owe the IRS. Irrationally I feared I might become a bag lady!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MLQ, I always get a bit edgy at tax time, but so far we've been in pretty good shape each year.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I've been a bundle of irrational fears most of my life, but seem to be finally mastering the ability to focus on the now and not fret so much about the "what might happen tomorrow." Maybe that comes with age and experience, but I sure wish I'd had the talent when I was younger so I didn't have so much stress and anxiety back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I've been the same way. After awhile I became too afraid of wasting my time with worry so I mostly stopped.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. With age, I have become less fearful. Knowing what I know now, I think I would not have accomplished as much without some of the pressure. It was uncomfortable for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, some pressure can be a real driving force.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I am learning not to be afraid. I have gotten pretty good at it! I think age has a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I agree that age has a lot to do with less fear. What more can anyone do to me after a certain point.

      Lee

      Delete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird