A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Time you woke up (#atozchallenge)




Time you woke up...

       On the morning of the day this was written I woke up shortly after 5 AM.  I tried to go back to sleep, but then I got up around 5:20 to get dressed and check my computer before it was time to wake up my wife at 5:30.  Tomorrow I'll get up no later than 5:30.   On weekdays when my wife is working she gets up at 5:30 and I'm there to wake her up.

        If left to my own devices I tend to get up between 6 or 7 AM if there is not a specific reason to get out of bed.  I suppose there's almost always some reason to get out of bed unless I'm real sick, but that would have to be really sick.

        I don't like to just lay in bed.  Sometimes I'll get into a phase where I'll lay in bed for awhile and read for thirty minutes or an hour perhaps and then get up again to do stuff.  I almost always take some sort of a nap in the afternoon.  It's rarely more than an hour.  Usually it's more like fifteen or twenty minutes.  I guess that's another time I woke up today.

        But thinking on a more philosophical level maybe this question has more to do with a time in my life when  I woke up in some deeper, perhaps even spiritual way.  That would be more than just one time since I've woken to many things and at times wakened to the same things more than once.

         Life is filled with awakenings and times of sleep.  If I could sleep less I'd have more time to get things done, but then again I might just have more time to waste and when I waste too much time I usually get sleepy and go to sleep.  Then I wake up and start again.

          Do you have a healthy sleep cycle?   Do you like a lot of sleep?    Do you wake up easily?

14 comments:

  1. No matter how much sleep I get, be it 3 hours, 6, 8 or more, I always wake up exhausted. My dogs usually get me up at 6, esp. my elderly doggie, and it's race against the clock to get her out b/f she goes on the floor. I have to be really super tired or sick to go back to bed after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, seems like I never get enough sleep. I really kind of hate it. I'd rather subsist on something like an hour spread throughout the day in short naps.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I come from a family of sleepy heads except for two brothers who are identical twins. They don't take much sleep. But yes, I do get up early. I'm a night owl. My family gets going every morning early, and I got to get that coffee pot going and the dogs walking.
    Cheers, Arlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I tease my wife that her family is "The Sleepy Family". I know that she likes to sleep.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I usually go to be between 10:30 and 11:30 most every weeknight. I get up between 6 and 6:30. On Saturday's I try not to set the clock and just wake when my body says it is ready. Which is usually between 9 and 11. Sunday's I get up between 8:30 and 9:30. I only take a nap if I am sick. If left totally to my own devices, I'd probably get my sleep schedule all jacked up!
    Revisit the Tender Years with me during the #AtoZChallenge at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I haven't slept past 8 AM for years though on rare occasions when I've been very sick I will go back to bed and end up sleeping most of the day. Fortunately this has not happened very often. A short nap comes for me nearly every afternoon--even when I was still working I'd usually take a power nap at my desk after lunch.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I function on about six hours of sleep and I've been waking up without an alarm clock for about 25 years or so.

    Father Nature's Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, I'm kind of the same, though I wish I could sleep longer sometimes and not be sick to have to do it.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I don't sleep very well, not since the stroke, and there are some nights I have to get up and go to the bathroom several times. What that means is I'm tired at about 10:30, but can't get up much before 9. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, Oh, tell me about that bathroom thing. Fortunately I can usually go right back to sleep after I go, but still it's a hassle, especially if it's a cold night.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Until my late 30s, I considered myself a night-owl. I would get a second wind around 11:00pm and often stay up until 1:00am. This was my "creative" time. And I would then typically sleep until about 8:00am

    But when I started teaching, I had to get up before 6:00 and often fell into bed exhausted after 11:00pm from grading papers.

    Now, I have a sleep schedule I enjoy and feels natural. I rarely set an alarm but typically wake up between 6:00 and 6:30 ... and I usually shut off the news at 9:30pm and go upstairs to read for a bit before turning out the light around 10:30.

    And, interestingly enough, this natural sleep cycle has indeed awakened the creative side of me - and the spiritual side. I can focus on the important rather than the urgent.

    Molly @MyCozyBookNook
    My Cozy Book Nook
    Revising Life after 50

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, I tended toward the up late sleep late cycle into my 20's as long as I wasn't getting up for school. When I started working regularly though I got on a schedule and have kept it pretty much since then.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. When I sleep, I sleep good. Really good. I rarely have a bad night's sleep. But I have weird sleep patterns. I may go to bed early but then I always wake up --usually one of the dogs want to go out-- between 1 and 3am, then I get up and am up on the computer for hours, especially during the A-Z! Then I go back to bed and fall right to sleep, to get up between 7-8am. I usually take some sort of nap in the afternoon.
    I love sleep because I always have really cool dreams! It's like I go to the movies every night when I go to sleep...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, I enjoy my dreams in the same way though I like it better if I don't have to get up and get going right away so I can think about what I've dreamed and even write them down. I rarely seem to have the opportunity to do that and dream memory can fade so quickly.

      Lee

      Delete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird