A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Vacation Destination (#atozchallenge)

The El Garces Hotel was later on historic U.S....
The El Garces Hotel was later on historic U.S. Route 66
 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


Vacation Destination...

        Where do I go?  Where I always go.  My typical vacation destinations are Houston, Texas; Maryville, Tennessee; and the Jersey Shore area, with all sorts of stops and side trips along the way.  For the past several years this has been my general itinerary since these are the places I must go to see my kids, my grandkids, and my other family members.

         These are all fine places to go if one plans to take a vacation trip.  Exotic places and major tourist destinations are fine for some, but for me I want to see my loved ones and spend some quality time with them.  Besides, I've been to plenty of places in my life already and though I love the travel and the thrill of discovering new adventures, I've got to stick with the places of my heart and mind.

           No theme park or far away city can give me the joy of watching my grandchildren and hearing them talk to me.   Spending quiet time with my daughters or running around with them as they go through their life routines give me new memories and allows me to relive some old ones.

           Maybe one day I'll go to Europe or Australia or do some big vacation thing that I've never done before.  Or maybe I won't and not particularly miss not having done those things.  I'll let life just come as it will.  On the way home from our visiting, my wife and I will take our time.  Maybe we'll see a national park or two, a historical site, or some kitschy roadside attraction.   We'll enjoy the journey and we'll enjoy being home.

           Every day is part of a journey to some destination which may be new or may be old or may be the one that is totally unexpected.  My life has often seemed like one long vacation with a few stops here to work or there to rest.   The journey is the best that life has to offer.  One destination leads to the next.

            What is your dream vacation destination?   Are you sometimes disappointed when you reach a destination that you've been looking forward to?   What is it that you like about the journey before you get where you are going?


6 comments:

  1. Well, blog brother, we have made it to "V". Yay. I've traveled little, mostly because I can't afford it, but hey, I have the best life. I won't complain. Your Jersey Shore sounds like a place I would visit. However, I would like to visit Hawaii and Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, the Jersey Shore is kind of cool, but I would probably never go there if I didn't have family there.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I have no desire to leave North America. I want to see the Canadian Maritimes so bad. And I'd love to do Rte 66 to the west and then Rte 6 back here. Maybe an Alaskan cruise. And I still have a bunch of things to see in the Pacific NW that I didn't do/see when I lived there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, there's so much to see in North America that I'm fine with staying. If I was rolling in money then I might think differently. It's so typical not to see the sights where you are and wish you had after you've left. I need to start exploring more around where I live.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. On the rare occasions that I do vacations, I usually do a road trip. Last one I took in 2008, I actually stopped to do some sightseeing (wife issued a veiled threat if we didn't). When I do my road trip though, it usually has a mixture of US 6 and the highway. Fun thing about 6 is that you can take it from coast to coast (starting and ending points are Bishop California and Cape Cod). I do the road trips mostly to relax. So far, the farthest west I've been is Colorado Springs.

    Father Nature's Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, vacations aren't always the easiest things for many of us to do. I dream of doing one of those "route" trips. The U.S. 6 trip sounds like an excellent one.

      Lee

      Delete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird