A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

X-Rays you have had (#atozchallenge)





X-Rays you have had...

         Not counting dental x-rays--I've had many of those since childhood--I can't recall ever having any x-rays until the past 15 years or so.   It's been since I got added to my wife's medical insurance after we got married.  Prior to that I never had medical insurance and fortunately no incident where an x-ray was required.

         Getting older often means feeling pain.  Inexplicable pain until medical examinations are done.  When I was first covered under medical insurance I was already nearing fifty which means I was heading towards getting old.  I was getting older and feeling more pain.

          During these past years of coverage I've probably had 7 or 8 x-rays.  Maybe more--who's counting really.  If I hurt and the doctors can't immediately determine why, they order x-rays.  I've had x-rays of my feet, my abdomen, my chest, my head, and my lower back.  Maybe there were more places x-rayed, but like I said--who's counting.

           They never seem to find much of consequence in those x-rays, which I suppose I should be thankful for.   There is a lower back issue--some kind of disc problem--but they said it would be better not to mess with it because surgery could cause worse problems.  The back problems have gone away for the most part.  So did everything else they x-rayed.

           I say the problems are gone, but I don't know for sure.  Right now I don't hurt and that's the main thing.   Besides, the diagnosis typically is that I'm getting old.  That's what the doctors usually end up saying, "You're getting older and sometimes you're going to feel pain."

           I guess I don't need x-rays to tell me that.  For that matter I don't really need a doctor to tell me that.  Still, sometimes an x-ray and a doctor checking me out is kind of reassuring.  I'd rather be getting older than have something really bad be wrong with me.

            How often do you go to the doctor?   Have you ever had an x-ray where something serious was discovered?   Do you think x-rays are harmful to the extent that it's better not to have them?





4 comments:

  1. I try not to go to the doctor much. It's a hassle. My smother is a wicked hypochondriac so she's always going here and there. I have a sniffle and she's pressing me to go to the doctor. I've had a ton of xrays though. I used to get bronchitus so bad that I'd have to have chest xrays. I've had concussions, a broken wrist. I've had xrays of my shoulders, hip joints and knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I avoid going to the doctor as well. It usually takes up too much time and ends up resulting in little.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I don't think anyone likes to go to the doctor. But they can improve your overall health and prolong your life. It is amazing what they can treat. Diabetes runs in my family with premature gray hair. I got both. So I got two to three times a year. What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I guess hair loss runs in my family as my dad and most of my uncles went bald. Don't know about the diabetes--I've got type 2 but I don't know if it's hereditary. My father had it too so maybe it is.

      Lee

      Delete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird