A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Worst Habit (#atozchallenge)






Worst Habit...

         I've got a few bad habits.  Sadly, most are bad habits that I've had all or most of my life.  Bad habits are often hard to break.  If breaking bad habits were easy then I'd likely not have them.  Why keep bad habits if I don't have to keep them?  

         One of my most annoying and self-defeating habits is procrastination.  I am continually getting distracted from the important life missions that face me.  Some of those things have never gotten done and faded into the realm of lost opportunities, chances I'll likely never have again.  So many times I'll find something to do other than what I should be doing.

        When I was a kid in school and later an adult in college, I'd put off doing homework, projects, or other things I was assigned.  There were books that never actually got read.  Papers done shoddily.  Tests not prepared for adequately.  Fortunately I was blessed with a certain gift of intelligence  and ability to fake my way through the things I needed to do.  I managed, but didn't excel like I might have if I had put an honest effort into my work.

          I'm not sure how the bad habit of procrastination enters into our lives.  I know I'm not the only one who does this because others have told me they do it too.  I've seen others put things off resulting in detrimental stress as they fret to finish their work or face the negative result of not finishing.  The act of waiting until the last minute can result in subpar work.   Or there can be the personal dissatisfaction of not having done the job they could have done if they had tried harder.

            I want to be better.  Maybe someday I'll try harder not to be a procrastinator.  Someday.

            Do you tend to put off starting things or finishing what you have started?   What would you say is your worst habit?   How has that bad habit affected you in your life?

10 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I am horrible with procrastination! In high school, I used to do my homework by sitting in the hallway before school started the day it was due. It never got better as I got older either. At least you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, We should start a club if we ever get around to it.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Someday never comes by CCR has a different meaning for procrastinators. Life has no guarantees, but, that is why I would encourage any young person to chase their passion. So many things never happen if you don't try. I know of people who build the perfect house or start a horse farm after they retire and never spend that much time there until they have to move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, so true. Life is not going to wait for us to live it if we aren't ready to live it now.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I'm not much of a procrastinator..I always got a head start on my papers ages in advance. As for bad habit...I have lots of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, sometimes I get a good start, but get derailed along the way. I love bright shiny distractions.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I do procrastinate like everyone else, IDK it is so easy to do until the deadline hits and makes it a regretful "decision". However, my worse habit is self-doubt. I beat myself down but, when I look at the situation later in life, I often find I was not being fair to myself.
    Nice post, I could relate with it.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar problem in being smart enough in school to avoid doing much actual work, but powering through all the important stuff and making an A on it (finals and research papers, etc.), so I'd end up passing. I made great grades on the big stuff, but the lack of daily grades and homework made me have a C average.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty good at procrastination as well. I'm learning to embrace the things I do instead of the things I should be doing, however. I just call those moments "meditation."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we all have our moments. I didn't have this problem in school. Had to work hard for good grades. Bugged me when others did not and still did okay.

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird