A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Killed Someone? (#atozchallenge)




K-Killed someone?: 

       I certainly hope I've never killed anyone.  If I have, I don't remember that happening, but I'm pretty sure I haven't ever taken the life of another.  

        But what about killing someone in a symbolic way?   We can kill others in spirit and mind.  We can kill hope, dreams, desires, and drive.  Thinking of killing in that respect I still can't think of an instance that I can point out where this has happened.   And again I hope I have never done anything like this.  No one has ever told me that I have.

         I try to be a positive and encouraging person.    When I was a kid I did tease my sister a lot, but she became a driven and successful person in her life so I don't think I had that much of a negative effect on her.    I'd like to think that my presence in the lives of others has mostly been positive to some degree.  Positivity fuels life rather than taking it.   If I've added something good to the lives of those on whom I've had influence then I am happy about that.  

        I wouldn't feel pleased to say that I've killed someone.    I wouldn't even think a soldier who has killed in battle would say they were pleased about the killing of another human being, but that it was something that had to be done in the circumstance of war.  Killing another human being must be a devastating thing to have a personal knowledge about having done.    Killing another in a metaphorical sense is bad, but it is not always something that is easily recognized.

        Has anyone ever "killed" you in some metaphorical way?   Can you think of a time when you did something to someone else that had a devastating impact upon them?    Do you know anyone personally who actually killed another person whether by intent or accident?


4 comments:

  1. I don't know anyone who has killed a person. I have cut a couple cousins out of my life. The only thing I can think of that had a devastating effect was when I left my husband to move back here to be with Russell. While it shouldn't have come as a surprise to Brian, he was devastated. After I moved, he was unable to take care of himself (due to mental illness and alcoholism), and he died a little over a year after I moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, haven't ever killed anyone for real, although I might have wished them six feet under. . .I tend to take on others' pains rather than imposing my own. I don't think I would find it easy to kill anyone unless they were threatening me or my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully, limited to bugs, a few birds, a handful of fish, and one squirrel who had the distinctly bad fortune to fall out of a tree in front of my moving car, with just enough time to turn and see what was about to hit him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never actually killed anyone, although I wished dead two people that hurt me very much. They died. I'm not proud that I wished them dead, but I did. The latter of those two killed me metaphorically, totally broke me.

    I hurt someone deeply and was immediately regretful of what I had said to her. She was going through a brutal divorce and was going off on me. I told her in response to a snarky question she asked, "*I* have a husband..." It still makes me shudder to think that I said something so cruel to a former friend. While it is no excuse, she turned on me first and I quickly retaliated. This was an online friendship and e-mail is fast. Since that time, I have tried to make myself stop and pray and ponder before I respond to a potential conflict via e-mail. It isn't so easy in a face-to-face situation, however.

    I do not know the man personally, but back in 1977 just after my 12th birthday, my youngest uncle and his second wife were visiting my cousins (children with his first wife) at their grandparents' home. The step-father of my uncle's first wife killed him and his second wife while she was holding their baby girl (my baby cousin was not physically injured to my knowledge). As far as I know, this man rotted away in the Mississippi State Penitentiary.

    If I'd known about this blog, Arlee, I sure would have been here sooner!

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird