A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Hometown (#atozchallenge)





Maryville, Tennessee
Maryville, Tennessee (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


H-Hometown: 

        In my college creative writing course, my professor Dr. Robert Drake once told us, "Everybody's from somewhere."  

          He was responding in part to my statement on a self-introduction essay (and perhaps others said it as well) that I'd lived so many places that I didn't feel like I was from any one particular place.  Later I pondered this coming up with the interpretation that the question of "where are you from" firstly comes down to how the question is asked.  Context is everything so one same answer doesn't always work every time the question is asked.

          So I guess I'll go with what I feel in my heart and soul at this time in my life.   My hometown is Maryville, Tennessee.  It's in the eastern part of the state.  I haven't lived there for nearly 25 years, but it's a place that has felt more like home to me than where I've been living since I left Maryville.  

         Los Angeles is where I live now, but my heart yearns for elsewhere.  Not necessarily in Tennessee.  Maybe somewhere else in the East.  Somewhere closer to my kids, my grandkids, and most everyone else I know.   So where is my hometown?  The answer can be complicated at times and at other times very easy.   Then other times I might have to think about it for a while.

         Do you feel at home where you live now?   How many places have you lived in your life?   What keeps you from moving to somewhere other than where you are now?

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lee - I know I'm not doing the A-Z ... but home - is where the heart is .. those early days, then those places we travel to and those we live in. I haven't lived in as many locations as you have ...

    Still home is wonderful wherever it is for that time - make the most of it .. I've started putting roots down here in Eastbourne - seems strange - after 25 years!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I often think of the home being where the heart is quote and I tend to agree, though still I think it's a variable question.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Well I am living in the same area where I grew up but I only returned to be with my now husband. If he could have moved west, I would have preferred it. I left Cape Cod in 1989 when I was 24 and lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 10 years, then Washington State for 12. Washington will always be my home. I vowed to never return here b/c I don't like my family, but life has a funny way of working out that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, and in my case I'd like to be closer to family. Here in L.A. I have no one other than my wife's family and it's not the same.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I have lived in six different places, all of which could be taken out with one of North Korea's baby nukes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, maybe you should try moving to North Korea--now that would constitute a real change I'm sure.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I think Maryville suits you. My first impression of you was that you had to be from the South. It was not a subtle inference either.
    One good thing about LA is that it is warm year round. Good for what ails you as you age. However, I understand grand kids nearby are even better. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, actually it's not warm here year round, but definitely warmer than climes in the East where I'm thinking of. But that's okay as my grandchildren would warm my heart.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I wish you did live closer to your kids/grandkids. Nothing like watching them grow and being a constant presence. My hometown is about 18 miles away, where my folks live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, thank goodness we have things like Facebook where I can see photos and videos of the kids. But I'd really like to spend time with them--lots of time.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. My hometown is Niagara Falls (Buffalo) NY. I miss it something crazy! I live in Austin, TX now and love it here (except the summer heat is unbearable). I've lived in Youngstown, OH and Washington DC. I liked DC -- was there for 6 years and enjoyed it until I got sick of it and moved for a better more suitable environment (Austin). I miss home and would go back... I think. I'm not sure I could handle the long hard winters. Maybe I could summer in NF and winter in Austin... Yeah, that sounds like a plan...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, the seasonal living might be okay, but might also be a bit disruptive. Austin has a lot to offer.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. That "home is where the heart is" quote fits pretty well. I've lived in 7 different places in 4 countries, but have been here in the Toronto suburbs since 1969 and don't want to live anywhere else. That said, the winters can be hard to take, sometimes. If I could afford it, I'd spend those down in San Diego. My parents moved there in the 70s. I lived with them on and off for a two year period when my father was ill and consider it my second home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I lived in San Diego from 3rd to 7th grade and it was a wonderful time of my life, but the area was much different in the early 60's than it is now. It's still a nice place though from what I've seen of it.

      Winters in SD and summers in Toronto sounds good to me. I've always liked Toronto and Ontario in general. I could stand living there I think.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Where I live now in the South has been home for 38 years...longer than where I grew up. I have family in the North but we are not close. My friends here are my family. I have no desire to go somewhere else but I have learned to not say I would never...

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird