A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Monday, April 25, 2016

U-Underwear (#atozchallenge)




Underwear?

       A few years ago the question was often asked of men:  "Briefs or boxers?"

       This seems like a rather odd question to ask anyone.  Why should anyone's underwear be a matter for public knowledge.  Perhaps this became more of a matter of interest when the fad of "sagging" became popular with younger guys.  In case you don't remember that or were oblivious to pop culture fashion, sagging is when a guy wears his pants hanging low so that the underwear is exposed.  In the case of sagging there is no doubt of what underwear a guy is wearing and in every case that I'm aware it's always boxers.

          From the time I was a small child my mother always bought me the traditional white briefs.  My father wore boxers.  I'd see him wearing them around the house when I was very young, but as my sister and I became older he became more modest about walking around in his underwear.  I was always a bit jealous because I wanted boxers because they just seemed more fashionable to me.  Briefs seemed dorky.  That's what I had though and I wasn't buying the underwear so the decision wasn't mine back then.

           After I became an adult buying my own underwear, I went for a trial period of wearing boxers.  Somehow they just didn't feel right after wearing the briefs all my life.  And since there was no intentional sagging style back then, wearing boxers wasn't a part of a public fashion statement.  My trial boxer period was short-lived and on my next trip to buy underwear I was stocking up on briefs again.

         Through the years I've tried some of the variations of the traditional briefs.  I tried colored briefs, bikini briefs, and whatever other briefs might be available, but invariably I would go back to the old standard tighty-whitey style that I grew up with when my mother bought my underwear for me.
   
           I still think the boxers look better, but I guess they're just not my style from the standpoint of comfort.  And now you have more information about me than you really needed to know.

           Which underwear style do you prefer for men?   Where do you usually purchase most of your underwear?   Do you think underwear is a weird topic for discussion? 







12 comments:

  1. I prefer the look of briefs on a man (and I bought briefs for my sons). Google boxers vs briefs fertility. I learned this info during the Clinton years. :)
    https://meinthemiddlewrites.com/2016/04/25/me-in-the-middle-of-atozchallenge-letter-u/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MLQ, I remember that controversy about fertility. I guess it didn't affect mine too much as I have 4 kids of my own.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. I have five and daddy wore boxers. :) My son (briefs) had four though! So much for scientific studies, Lee! :)

      Delete
  2. Remember, 'semper ubi sub ubi!' lol I prefer my hubby in boxer briefs. I've stolen some for hot summer nights when it's too warm for my flannel pj pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, had to look up the Latin as it was new to me. I do have shorts to wear to bed when it gets too hot.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. lol, I think you got the U covered, pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, at least I kept it clean because we all remember what mothers used to say about wearing clean underwear.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Briefs, and may I say, when I saw the title I briefly wondered if I had gotten on Al Penwasser's page by accident...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I was just answering the question. Al certainly could have really run with this one. Come to think of it he probably has already.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. At least you don't have to find the perfect bra out of the gazillion styles offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I guess my wife might help, but then again she might not be too happy if I needed a bra.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I prefer briefs, which I get at JCPenney (actually order them online and have them sent). Beats having to go to Omar the Tentmaker where I get most of my clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird