A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Giving (#atozchallenge)

Amy Carmichael with children
Amy Carmichael with children (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving. ~ Amy Carmichael 

       To love someone is to give them yourself.   You may bring delight by giving a loved one material possessions. Giving experiences and opening doors of opportunities can greatly enhance a relationship with another.   You can give money, shelter, food, and help to those you love.    You can give much to show another that you love them, but one of  the best gifts is your time.

     Sharing a weekend, an hour, or even a few minutes are ways to show someone that you care for them. Time is a meaningful investment that is very personal, helping to bring more closeness to those we love. Talking, listening, or just being quiet together.

     The elderly or anyone who is shut in due to illness or disability especially wants and needs someone willing to give them some time. Those we loved when they were in prime shape may seem more of a hassle when they no longer can get around, but remember when they gave their time to us. Our love for them should never diminish as they become what may seem as more of a burden to those around them.

     And never forget the children. They are so easy to please when they are small. It's not really so much about the things we can give them, but the memories we leave them. When we give ourselves as part of the heritage of good memories they carry into adulthood we are not only giving to them, but to their children as well.

    What we give to others is the tangible expression of our love for them.

       Who have you spent time with that rewarded you as much as it did them? What are some of the best gifts you have received from loved ones? Is there someone who you love that needs to hear from you?
Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. A wonderful post Lee of giving yourself to others, I agree it's good to help anyone who needs hep whatever age, but there are some people you just CAN'T help. (Speaking from experience).

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a nice piece, Arlee. it reminded me of the time when I would spend my Saturdays taking my Grandma shopping. It would take up my whole entire day.

    Tweeted.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm spending more time with my stepdaughter and am enjoying that. She is 22, and as a child of a broken home & seeing her parents in and out of relationships (and the bitter fighting and hatred between them or as she describes them 'mortal enemies'), she and her brothers had a lot of chaos and conflict since they were very little. I am hoping to be a good role model for her and someone she can come to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Arlee,
    Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in what we think of as living that we forget to give our ourselves.

    A visit with a particular shut-in is always a reminder to me of the things that truly matter and all that we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Painful post for me, Lee - my 90 year old mother is now in need of 24/7 care - she lives a two hour drive from here and going there is a bit of a process - especially given that I am still unable to drive. Bigger than that is the sad truth that I am not close to her. We are cordial and respectful but she has never been one to much give or take love in a clear fashion. My work week is strenuous and exhausting and I NEED my weekends to recover. The whole thing leads to a loud and incessant argument in my head - guilt or shame - I can't tell whose voice it is but it is LOUD and will not leave me aone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love spending time with my girlfriends. I get so much from them but the best thing is always laughter! Just stopping by for the A-Z Challenge. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember spending time with by mom, after Alzheimer's had stolen so much of who she was, and wishing I were somewhere else. Now I'd give almost anything to have even an hour of that time back again. There is no gift as valuable as time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being with my gr-daughters. They spent the wkend with us, and we did fun things that interested them. Time invested in one's children/grandchildren never goes unrewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am being very convicted right now, Arlee. Thanks for the reminder.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thank all of you for giving me your time, your comments, and your very touching stories. You in turn have given me a reminder. Ah, there never seems to be enough time! I need to use what I have wisely.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird