A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dreaming of You

English: Lapland. 2 o'clock in the morning. I ...
 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


My Darling, can you hear me
As I call you from afar?
A storm awakes me as I dream of your sweet kisses,
Then I lie awake for hours.
         From "Gone, but not Forgotten" by Arlee Bird (1977)

      
         You had gone home to your parents.   I was out on the road, away.   Working.  We needed the money with the baby on the way.   I had this one more job to do before I would be coming to you.  I said.

        Those weeks seemed like years.  Being away so long felt unnatural, for weeks that felt like years.  Our marriage had not been long and it had seen its tumult.   You were probably too young and I too immature in things like relationships.  I was probably not ready for you nor me for you.  You had years of youth to get out of your system and I was ready to be responsible.  I think.

        This was our first time apart since our wedding day.   I felt this emptiness and insecurity in our parting.  Life was going to be vastly different when I joined you in a city new to me.  In a new apartment that you would find while you were free on your own pregnant.

        Me pretending by day and trying to sleep at night, when I dreamed, I dreamed of you.  I dreamed of us.  Uneasy dreams like many of our conflicts.  Sweet dreams like our good times together.  I desperately wanted it all to work.

       Eventually I was done with my gig and in my new home with you.  For a while things went well.  Most of the time, but with those moments of stormy upheaval.   We were too different in many ways and yet so much the same.

       We did make it work for a few years.  Kind of.  And then it didn't work.  That dream ended and new ones took over.

      Sleep came better when I was no longer dreaming of you.



     
Enhanced by Zemanta

18 comments:

  1. Wow, Lee, this piece is beautiful. I love your writing style, you know how to transmit the emotions to your readers. Great "D"

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Lee, made a few tear drops fall down my face,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee, all I can say is wow. This piece of writing is amazing and so easy to identify with. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great honesty in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I'm just a tagalong, Lee, I'm trying to catch up on reading. I read all of yours because I'm always looking for ways to write memoir. Most of my posts will be in that genre. I love what you've written!! Please check me out at http://foreveryoung279.blogspot.com. Absolutely loving Blogging from A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really beautiful piece. Lovely writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are your writings autobiographical? This was very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Lee. I'd love to do a guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a powerful piece! Love the picture as well. I'm a new follower :).

    my blog:morgankatz505.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, touching post. I related to it on so many levels. Your writing style is unique and "real." Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doris -- Thanks. That's nice to hear coming from a fine writer such as you.

    Yvonne -- I guess I achieved my goal then.

    Teresa -- Reconfirmed!

    Tracy --I'm sure others have experienced this.

    Sally -- I was shooting for openness in this.

    F Young -- Hope you will visit often.

    Dana - Thank you.

    JoJo -- The pieces on this blog are autobiographical if they are written by me.

    Thelmaz -- I'll get back with you.

    Morgan -- Picture courtesy of Zemanta.

    Emily -- I was trying to tap into my emotions as well as my readers.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was beautiful. I can see the love, loss, and growth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very touching and so beautifully written. I felt the longing and the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My wife and I had to spend about a week apart within a month of getting married. It was rough.

    Dropping by from the A to Z Challenge. It's my first year.

    Brett Minor
    Transformed Nonconformist

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes there are words for how something makes us feel. In this case, I was right there with you, in the car, over your shoulder...

    What a storyteller. (sigh)

    Dana
    Waiter, drink please!



    ReplyDelete
  16. Very honest writing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird