A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Patience ( #atozchallenge )

pet plant
pet plant (Photo credit: Michael Sarver)
 
     Patience is a virtuous attribute for anyone to have, but sometimes it can be a difficult thing to achieve.  We live in an impatient world where people are often in a hurry and things must be taken care of right away. But do you realize that lack of patience can be an unhealthy behavior that can result in harmful stress and making bad decisions?   When we allow stress to rule us, we may often say or do things we regret later.

         Living with someone can make us see things we don't like about that person.  We may become critical or irritated.  Rather than resorting to these feelings we need to tap into patience and learn how to tolerate those around us.  Love is hindered by impatient attitudes.  Calm open communication will nurture love and allow that love to flourish.

         A good gardener plants seeds and tends the plants with loving care.  The gardener knows that the plants blossom in their own time and will flourish if given what they need.  We should tend to those we love in the same way.  Likewise we need to be tended to in mutual caring.

         Love is Patient.

         Are you patient with those you love?   Do you find it difficult to be patient?   What makes you impatient?

Enhanced by Zemanta

14 comments:

  1. Patience is indeed a virtue, it's all so easy to get impatient when things don't go the way you hoped but take a deep breath and wait, after all "It All Comes To Those Who Wait",

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm patient most of the time, especially when I know that some behavior that irritates me is just how someone is and it's not directed at me and he/she has other great qualities that make up for this one thing. BUT I am impatient with the hubster when he does something I've repeatedly asked him not to do, such as spread a wet raincoat on the living room carpet, shoot the grass into the flower bed, rake dead leaves into the flower bed. Of course, when I snap his response is, "You don't have to talk to me like I'm a child." I don't have a long list of rules for people to live by, so I suppose I'm impatient when they forget something that should be so obvious. Whew - thanks for letting me vent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm more patient with strangers than I am with my family. I will work on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I also mentioned patience in my P post. It's a tough one to achieve, but once we do, we usually find the wait was worth it.
    Kathy @ Swagger Writers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am working on learning this in my marriage. I tend to be a rather impatient person, so marriage has been good for helping me learn this virtue. I'm so thankful when others are patient with me... the hard part is practicing it with them!

    Thanks for this, Lee.

    Jaimie at Living in the Light

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yvonne -- Yes, those deep breaths and long sighs. Sometimes it's all we can do.

    Wendy -- Usually my wife is very patient with me, but when she's not--look out!

    Teresa -- I find that often to be true. And sometimes after we dealt with frustrating circumstances with strangers we take it out on loved ones.

    Kathy -- Waiting is usually better than getting irrationally angry.

    Jaimie -- Learning patience can be a long difficult process for some, but it's really essential in a good marriage.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a lot of patience w/ my mom at all. And I just hate waiting in line, esp. behind people who are slow or are asking a million questions. While I try to remain passive outwardly, people would be shocked to hear the running commentary in my head. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am patient to a point. Sometimes it slips away slowly and other times it goes all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tend to lose patience when people take too long to perform their task because they're not paying attention. Two examples might be the store clerk who's busy chatting with another clerk or the bank teller who is too easily distracted by other activity around him or her.

    My sons both have special needs. They've taught me the importance of patience as they struggle to speak, either just the physical act or the process of assembling the thought and speaking the words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JoJo -- I can so identify with your comment. Me too!

    Andrea -- There is a breaking point for most of us.

    Lillian -- I don't like it when people disregard others and create inconvenience. I know what you're saying.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, Arlee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh patience - a little patience can make or break a friendship; can make or break a lot of things. I'm mostly patient. How I behave when my patience runs out is another matter - and - my patience does run out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lee .. in recent years I've learnt we're all different, and very possibly (probably) in different stages of health .. or problems .. and so being aware and being patient is good for us, as it is for the poor person in front of us, or who is pushing from behind!

    Patience really is a virtue .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susanne -- Thanks for visiting!

    Alison -- Lack of patience can cause us to break things and relationships for sure. A lot of impatience is merely the result of not understanding what needs to be understood.

    Hilary -- So true. We need to try to have patience with impatient people. Hopefully patience is contagious!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird