A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Quiet Times Together ( #atozchallenge )

English: A quiet time for the River Carron. A ...
English: A quiet time for the River Carron. A peaceful setting for some lazy reflection after an enjoyable walk to Meikle Bin. The end of a lovely day out.  (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

         What kind of companion are you?   What kind of person do you enjoy being alone with?

          I've had a few friends with whom I could spend time with and be comfortable in not speaking for long periods.   I don't mean because we were angry or anything like that, but that we just didn't feel like saying anything.  Often this might have been the case while hiking or on camping trips.  Whatever the case, there is something comforting about sharing time with another person without having to share any words.

         Marriage is probably like that for most of us.  If you're like me, you'd probably go nuts if your partner continually chattered or expected you to be saying something all the time.   Quiet times are sometimes necessary.   Quiet times together can be very comforting.

          To me, time spent silently together indicates a sense of confidence in the relationship and trust in one another.  Sometimes the deepest emotions are stated without words.  Perhaps it is a good thing to try communication exercises that don't involve speaking.   At other times it's best to let a partner be absorbed in their silent activities so they can get done whatever it is they need to do.

         Maybe all couples don't feel this way.  I don't know.   My wife and I both tend to be quiet people much of the time.  She has things to do and so do I.  If we have given each other our individual spaces with quiet times under the same roof, then our together conversation times can be much more fulfilling.

         Communication is important in any love relationship, but the quiet times reflect a different side of that love.

         Do you like to spend quiet times with another person you think a great deal of?    Does being quiet in the presence of another person make you uncomfortable?    How do you spend you quiet times? 


Enhanced by Zemanta

9 comments:

  1. I would give my right arm to have more communication with someone. Apart from brother Keith who comes once in a while and shopping I speak to no one. I do speak weekly with John in Spain but that is only a limited call. Life do change without noticing, when married we like you sometime no words were necessary, Suddenly I am left here alone with my writing and music as company, but hey! Keith and I are going to Branson MO in November to see Daniel so life is not all doom and gloom.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first, when my husband and I became 'quiet' together, it made me feel very insecure. We were going through tough times, though, but pulled through it and now our quietness indicates a comfort level, which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom is one of those people who has to keep talking. It drives me insane, esp. trapped in a car on long trips.

    I am perfectly comfortable talking or not with a friend or my fiance'. I'm usually on my laptop or colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy the quiet times. My husband likes to talk but does appreciate I need quiet gives me that space. I have been homeschooling my grandson and now that he is back is public school, I have hours of glorious quiet time all to myself.

    http://completelycalifornia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goo post, Arlee. :-) My husband and I are recent empty-nesters, and are rediscovering who we are. It's different to talk. (lol). I still need my quiet. I think maybe writers need that more than others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a quiet person while my husband is not. We balance each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my space. Hubby begrudgingly gives it to me. :) Thank the Lord we both love to read. I couldn't be married to a non-reader. :(

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great when couples can balance each other in the relationship. Thanks for the visits and comments on this post.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lee .. thankfully I've had my space since my mother died and can get my head back to a degree of normality .. we need time to think - I can't bear constant noise and so enjoy just being ... sometimes out and about just being too ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird