A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Heart (#atozchallenge 2013)

Scan of a Valentine greeting card dated 1909.
Scan of a Valentine greeting card dated 1909. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

        The heart as a symbol for love is one of the most recognizable of all symbols.  The red heart shape that we in the Western Hemisphere so often associate with the romantic celebration of Valentines Day has come to represent love and romance.

         Why the heart?   Anatomically speaking an actual heart may not appear so romantic, but it is the human center of the body and that vital organ that feeds the lifeblood to the body.  Without the heart we are dead.

          When we love in the fullest embodiment of the emotion, our love seems to radiate from our center.  There is a warmth within that appears to come from the heart.  Love is not a rational emotion that is comes from the mind, though the mind devises the ways to love and to reach those for whom we feel love.  Love is from the heart and love warms the heart.

         And when love is broken, the heart feels broken.   We may feel that wrenching pain deep within us that may even make us feel sick or as though we want to die.  The mind often tries to understand and reason away the loss of love, but the heart pines and mourns and feels empty until the healing comes.

         In love or loss the heart beats on and life lingers.  The heart is the center of us and the yearning for love is at the center of everything.

        What has been your greatest heartache?   Your greatest heartbreak?   Can love make you healthier?

Enhanced by Zemanta

9 comments:

  1. My biggest hearbreak was losing my mother and husband in quick succession and years down the line 2 of my children has cut me out of their lives taking my beloved children. I live in HOPE, on must have that in life,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just going to give you hugs and chocolate for this post.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arlee, how many blogs do you have out there?! Thinking about it, I don't really have any heartache..

    Keep Calm and A-Z
    An A-Z of learning English
    Round the world from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. My biggest heartbreak was the end of my twenty year marriage. But life goes on, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing my dad really sucked. And I absolutely dread the day when my dogs go. My ex-h broke my heart and trust with his alcoholism and resulting issues. But Russell saved me and rescued me....and I've never ever loved anyone as much as I do him. I have been off antidepressants nearly two years and although sometimes I 'flirt' with getting a cold, I haven't been sick in two years either so I think my new life has made me healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it's not always the heart either. In Western culture we think of the heart as the place for emotions, but other cultures through the ages had the same idea about other internal organs :)
    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yvonne -- We should never lose hope.

    Shelly -- That'll do!

    Duncan -- You're lucky if you haven't had any heartaches. Then again maybe you recover well and just don't remember.

    Teresa -- I know what you're saying. The ends of both of my marriages were heartbreaking though neither was near 20 years. When you can make it that far I figure why bother to give up?

    JoJo -- I think there is little doubt that a happier life usually makes for a healthier life.

    A Tark-- Some hurtful situations have made me sick to my stomach while others have been a pain in the rear, but you were probably talking about something else. Thanks for visiting.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lee, right now, my biggest heartache is that I am financially unable to return to Minnesota to live. I lived there for 38 years and made so many friends. Their friendship filled my heart with gladness. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I know from experience, hearts really do act up during times of strong emotion. And for some strange reason, after reading your blog, I'm craving cheese. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird